Senior celebrations to congratulate Class of 2014

The+Joneses+fellowship+with+seniors+in+attendance+at+last+year%E2%80%99s+Senior+Picnic.++Photo%3A+Submitted+
The Joneses fellowship with seniors in attendance at last year’s Senior Picnic. Photo: Submitted

Campus will get a dose of senior excitement next week during Senior Spirit Days. From Oct. 9 through 11, seniors will have the chance to socialize with their fellow classmates and take a refreshing break from schoolwork stress.

“It’s a week dedicated to seniors where we can congratulate them for making it this far,” said Corey Colosky, men’s senior class representative for the Student Leadership Council. “We want to give [seniors] something to look forward to and make their senior year a little more exciting for them.”

The three-day event will begin on Wednesday morning with doughnuts and juice for the senior class from 7 until 10:50 a.m. at the Gazebo.

“We want to give seniors a little push to keep persevering and get them together as much as possible as a group since this is our last year together,” said Alicia Newcomer, the women’s senior class representative.

The next event of the week is the much-anticipated senior picnic hosted by BJU president, Dr. Stephen Jones and his wife, Erin Jones, on Thursday, Oct. 10, at 5:30 p.m. Dinner will be provided for the seniors at the picnic.

The picnic is the most anticipated event of Senior Spirit Days for many seniors.

“I’m looking forward to the good food at the Joneses’ house and getting to meet the head people [at our University],” said Mike Hammons, a senior criminal justice major.

The senior class is invited to spend time with the Joneses and other seniors in a relaxed setting at the president’s house.

“When you think about it, it’s unique that the seniors get to go to the president of the [University’s] house for a picnic,” said Sarah Kalmbach, women’s student body president. “It’s a really neat opportunity.”

Finally, on Friday, Oct. 11, the Alumni Association will host Senior Madness Night at the Student Center from 10:45 to 11:45 p.m.

Seniors are invited to hang out, eat pizza and play Xbox games. And seniors who already have Alumni Association membership will be eligible to enter a drawing for a cash prize.

“[As a senior,] I know we need a time to celebrate how far we’ve come and to keep graduation and our future goals in mind [despite] our really busy schedules,” Kalmbach said. “We need that time to just really bond and enjoy a couple hours at the Joneses’ house or a couple days of Senior Spirit Days.”