Bruins men get first win after loss to Knights

Bruins midfielder Eric Moisant leaps for a header over a Knights opponent. Photo: Emma Klak

The Bruins men handed the Knights of St. Andrews University their first win of the season last Thursday evening in a 2-1 game, leaving the Bruins men’s soccer team with its third consecutive loss.

The Bruins defense held up against an aggressive Knights offense, drawing several offside calls and using some quick decision making from first-year goalkeeper Joseph Wooster on through-balls and crosses. The Bruins men were able to answer with some offensive pressure of their own, creating several good opportunities and a rocket off the crossbar.

Unfortunately, it was the Knights who drew first blood and scored on a beautifully placed, high-arching shot off the foot of forward Caio Liberatti. Liberatti worked another crafty shot into the back of the net in the second half, and senior Cody Lehman’s goal into the upper left wasn’t enough to tie it up in the end.

Several younger players started Thursday’s game for the Bruins. “Coach McCormick did a great job of getting new recruits. They are all very talented,” Bruins senior defender Joel Cave said. “He has them there for a reason, and I think we’re growing as a team.”

The Bruins men grabbed their first win of the year Tuesday against the Piedmont College Lions in a 4-1 contest by exhibiting their offensive firepower and ability to possess the ball.

Sophomore Ryan McCarty contributed a tremendous effort to the Bruins’ cause with two assists and a goal in the first half. His first assist was a clean pass to sophomore Matt Moore, who finished the goal midway through the half. Eight minutes later, freshman Andrew Moisant buried a shot off another McCarty pass, making the score 2-0 before McCarty finished the half with a goal of his own.

Moore and McCarty continued the scoring campaign in the second half, again combining efforts to earn Moore’s second goal and McCarty’s third assist. Piedmont picked up one goal toward the end of the game, putting the final score at 4-1.