Academic Resource Center launches additional services

Mrs. Jonna Carper (left) of the Academic Resource Center helps a student. Photo: Molly Waits

The Academic Resource Center has added a new service, transition advising, for students who are undecided about their major or who are unsure about the one they have chosen.

With 13 years’ experience as a high school guidance counselor, Miss Jane Smith is perfectly suited to take on the new role of transition adviser. “My goal is that all students be in the right major for them by the end of their sophomore year,” she said.

Smith, with the help of an online tool called the Strong Interest Inventory, can help measure a student’s interests and narrow down the choices for a major. She can also review students’ academic progress and look at different plans for completing their degrees in different majors, to decide which major would work best. Smith can also schedule meetings with faculty, alumni or deans to assist students in decisions about majors.

Smith said she is thrilled with her new position and is excited to work with students. “I want them to know that this [major] is where God wants them,” she said.

Smith invites all students to her office. Whether they need advice in the decision-making process about majors or simply to talk about anything in life. “The door is always open,” she said.

Transition advising is only one of the many services offered by the Academic Resource Center to help support students. The Center offers many services, such as academic accommodations for students with documented learning disabilities and academic coaching for students who need help in academic achievement, time management, studying and test-taking skills, organization and more.

Educational technology services for both faculty and students can be found in Al 207–209, with many helpful tools, like iPads, available for student use. A centralized test-taking environment and a writing center for students to develop their writing skills are provided as well.

Find more information about services offered by the Academic Resource Center under the “Academics” tab on the BJU Intranet.

If you’re new to the University and don’t know where to find the Academic Resource Center, just look for the color yellow on the second floor of the Alumni Building.

The Center is open on Monday through Friday from 8 to 10:50 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. to 5 p.m.