Seagulls top Owls with strong batting, pitching

A+Seagulls+batter+takes+the+plate+and+awaits+the+next+pitch.++++Photo%3A+Dave+Saunders+
A Seagulls batter takes the plate and awaits the next pitch. Photo: Dave Saunders

The Seagulls used strong batting and pitching in Saturday’s softball matchup to defeat the Owls.

The Seagulls led off the top of the first inning with a double by senior Alicha Grubb. She scored as the next batter singled to bring her home. Another single and a walk loaded the bases. A single brought home two runs to make it 3-0 in favor of the Seagulls, and another run scored on the ensuing pitch made it 4-0.

The Owls came to bat in the bottom of the first determined to wait for their pitches and stay relaxed. A leadoff single gave the Owls hope, but a fielder’s choice by the defense at second left one on with two out. The last batter popped out to third to strand the runner.

Grubb led off the top of the second with a homer to push the lead to five runs. The next batter struck out, but then a single put a runner on with one out. The fourth batter of the inning struck out, and then a walk put two on with two out. The last batter grounded out to first in the best defensive inning by the Owls.

The Owls went three up, three down in the bottom of the second after hitting the ball hard but right at the defense.

Strong hitting by the Seagulls in the third let them surge ahead by seven before the close of the inning.

The next few innings were mostly the same, with two Seagulls hitters, freshman Deb Dahlhausen and senior Cherith Hamilton, both homering to put the Seagulls well ahead, 11-0.

To keep the game going, the Owls came up to bat needing two runs at the bottom of the third, but their first batter grounded out to first, and although the next batter singled to keep their hopes alive, the last batter grounded out to third to end the game 16-0 in favor of the Seagulls.

“Everyone gave it a good team effort, taking their time batting and making sure the balls were where they needed to be,” said freshman Kristina Mauk, the Seagulls’ coach. She was proud of the effort her girls put forth and the patience they showed on offense. Mauk said patience and hustle were the keys to the 11-run third inning.