Timothy Program trains ministers of the Gospel

This year, two Timothy students will be graduating with master’s degrees in Bible and returning to their home countries to continue to spread the Gospel.

These prospective graduates are two of five Timothy students who currently attend BJU.

The Timothy Scholarship Program was started in 1977 by Dr. Bob Jones III because he wanted to give qualified young people from outside the U.S. the opportunity to come to BJU for their education when they would not otherwise be able to do so. The program is specifically designed for young men going into the ministry.

Jared Garcia is a Timothy student at BJU.    Photos: Jacob Larsen
Jared Garcia, a Timothy student at BJU. Photo: Jacob Larsen

Timothy students are recommended to the school by BJU graduates who have known the potential student personally for at least three years. The applicants must have a good reputation, have potential leadership skills, show capability of above average work in the classroom and have an obvious call to preach.

The program provides students with a scholarship that completely pays for four years of their education, and the students agree to return to their home country for four years after they graduate.

While Timothy students are here at BJU, they are expected to do well in classes and accompany Dr. Jones III to events where they give their testimonies.

Jared Garcia is a graduate student from the Philippines. Jared first heard about BJU from his pastor, and he was able to complete his undergrad at Bob Jones Memorial Seminary in Manila. After being recommended by one of his seminary teachers, Garcia decided to come to the States for his master’s degree in Bible with a concentration in biblical languages.

“I really enjoy my seminary classes, and the biblical language classes here are much more comprehensive than elsewhere,” Garcia said. After graduating this spring and returning home, he plans to be part of the teaching staff and administration at the Bible college associated with his home church.

John do Nascimento is a freshman Bible major and music minor from São Paulo, Brazil. John was able to attend a Christian school all of his life. His dad is a deacon in their church, and John first heard about BJU from his pastor.

“My favorite part of being at Bob Jones is the fellowship,” Nascimento said.  “There are so many nationalities here, but we are here for the same purpose — to glorify God.” Although he is only a freshman, John is already considering a master’s degree and possibly a Ph.D. before he goes back to Brazil. When he does get back, he plans to help his pastor and possibly teach music.

John do Nascimento, a Timothy student at BJU. Photo: Jacob Larsen

“Whatever God wants me to do, I am able to do,” Nascimento said.

John Aidoo is a graduate student from Ghana. John grew up in a Baptist church, but he does not remember accepting Christ until he was 18.

“I had all of these plans for my life,” Aidoo said. “I am thankful to God for not allowing those things to happen.”

Aidoo had already completed his undergraduate work in Ghana when he first came to BJU, but only one year of his credits transferred. He worked hard and was able to graduate in two-and-a-half years. After graduation, he decided to stay and complete his master’s degree in Bible in a year and a half.

“I have enjoyed the opportunity for service here,” he said. “I preach at Shepherd’s Gate, at my church and I have taught Sunday school since my first semester.” Aidoo plans to continue preaching and teaching when he goes back to Ghana. “Ghana has religious freedom everywhere,” he said. “I want to go to the schools, both government and private, and preach as much as I can.”