Volleyball begins, Razorbacks fall to Cobras in two sets

The+Cobras+and+the+Razorbacks+played+two+sets+in+their+volleyball+match+on+Saturday%2C+April+6.++++Photo%3A+Cayla+Smith++
Cayla Smith
The Cobras and the Razorbacks played two sets in their volleyball match on Saturday, April 6. Photo: Cayla Smith

The Pi Kappa Cobras defeated the Alpha Theta Razorbacks in two sets on Saturday morning.

The opening weekend of the volleyball season meant both teams were still juggling their rosters to find the players’ best positions.

The Cobras settled first and got off to a fast start with a kill from junior Benjamin Matthews to give the Cobras a 6-1 advantage.

Sophomore Nathan Zakariasen went to work with his tricky jump serve, and the Cobras led 10-4.

Alpha fought back to cut the gap to four points before the Cobras’ senior Jared Vedder smashed a kill to stop the rally.

Just when the set appeared to be slipping away from Alpha, a kill by freshman Tommy Colavito followed by a firm block from junior Rob Carlton kept the score at 16-11.

With the set score at 21-17, another kill and a well-placed tip from Vedder closed the set for the Cobras, who won 25-18.

In the second set, a good block from the Cobras’ junior Kyle Channel gave his team a quick 2-0 lead, but Alpha answered with a block from senior David Harry that tied the set at three apiece.

A Vedder kill leveled the scores again at 5-5 as momentum shifted back and forth.

Alpha surged ahead with a long shot from Harry that found the back corner of the court, and Alpha went on top 9-5.

Both teams traded blocks in between some long volleys when a fierce kill by Zakariasen brought the Cobras back to within two points. Zakariasen continued his good play with a clever tip and another kill to make it 13-13.

The Cobras eventually took a 16-13 lead through a kill from Matthews that capped their 5-to-nothing run.

A kill from Alpha senior John Grove pegged back the Cobras, but Alpha could not mount a comeback as the set finished 25-20 to give the Cobras the match.