Greenville staple serves Southern comfort food

Located less than 10 minutes from campus, Henry’s Smokehouse is cooking up award-winning barbecue and Southern classics. Photo: Emma Klak

If you’re on campus, you are a mere 2.3 miles from pigging out on award-winning barbecue at Henry’s Smokehouse, located at 240 Wade Hampton Blvd.

Henry’s has become a favorite destination for Greenville barbecue lovers since the privately owned business opened its doors in 1991.

The Wade Hampton Henry’s Smokehouse may look small and may seat just 28 people inside, but it is packed with customers, delicious food and its awards hanging on the walls inside.

According to general manager Tiger O’Rourke, Henry’s Smokehouse has been voted the Greenville News‘ “Best of the Upstate” for barbecue for almost 15 years.

O’Rourke said the special seasoning they use in preparing their meat and the way they cook it make it stand out from other barbecue restaurants. “Our cooking is like an old world style,” he said. Henry’s meat is cooked directly over a pit fire and does not use propane fires like many other places do.

Manager Bo Wilder said the restaurant serves an average of 400 people each day, with 600 pounds of meat sold on a daily basis. And those figures don’t include their two other locations in Simpsonville and on Woodruff Road in Greenville.

If you are looking to get full fast, Henry’s is the place to go. Wilder said one of their most popular menu items is the $6.75 chopped pork plate. This includes chopped pork with a choice of two sides. Among their more than 10 sides are Southern favorites like mac and cheese, baked beans and sweet potato casserole. Other favorites include barbecue pork sandwiches, smoked chicken and the rib plate, ranging in price from $6.75 to $14.85.

Henry’s Smokehouse also has a following here on campus. Senior history major Laura Jacques recently ate at Henry’s for the first time. Jacques said her experience was great, including the friendly customer service.

“The food was awesome,” Jacques said. “They give you hardy portions that [taste] good and [are] savory.”

BJU public relations director Mr. Randy Page has been eating at Henry’s since 1999, when he worked with an insurance agency on Wade Hampton. “Every Friday we would shut the office down at 11:30 and run down to Henry’s because it has limited seating,” Page said.

Page said he has eaten barbecue from across South Carolina because of his previous job working with a former governor. “Henry’s has always stood out as one of my favorites,” he said. “The meat is good, the service is good and I love the fries and sweet tea.”