Living Gallery to focus on Christ’s crucifixion, message of the Gospel

Ricky Altizer and Lauren Jacobs rehearse this year’s Living Gallery program directed by Mr. Paul Radford. Photo: Amy Roukes

Through the years, Living Gallery has become a highlight during the spring semester. It is an amazing way to celebrate the death and resurrection of our Savior.

This year it is under the direction of Mr. Paul Radford, faculty member in the Division of Communication. The theme, “The Shadow of the Cross,” was inspired by an article Radford read that encouraged him to think about the people who were living at the time of the Crucifixion.

He suggested the idea to Dr. Darren Lawson two years ago and began to work on the program in the summer of 2011. Mr. Dave Schwingle, faculty member in the Division of Communication, wrote the monologues for the program based on Radford’s ideas.

Living Gallery will focus on the individuals who were present at Christ’s crucifixion and who waited for His resurrection. “I think it is important for Christians to remember that the people who loved Him most had no resolution,” Radford said. “It’s a picture of what Christians go through now. There are some times that can be really difficult, but our struggles do point to a hope. We need to remember that things will end [joyfully], just like the Resurrection.”

Living Gallery will be a little different this year — there will be no play, but monologues. “This year we are focusing on what characters in the artwork would say if they could speak,” Radford said.

Living Gallery will be presented on March 28 and 29 at 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. and on March 30 at 2 p.m., 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.