Omega Lions top Alpha Razorbacks 55-50, both continue to playoffs

Alpha’s Michael Haygood puts up a shot against Jonathan Eberle. Photo: Dave Saunders

The Alpha Omega Lions defeated the Alpha Theta Razorbacks 55-50 in both teams’ final regular season basketball game.

Omega began the game shooting with more accuracy than Alpha, and Omega led 18-11 with seven minutes left in a scrappy first half.

Omega went on a 9-4 run to extend their advantage to 27-15 before a 3-pointer from Alpha’s senior guard Jeff Hammer and a midrange jumper from senior forward Benjamin Cure cut the score to 27-20 at half time.

Omega led largely in part to the scoring of junior forward Andrew Martin and sophomore guard Rodney Woods. Their joint contributions totaled 18 points in the first half.

Alpha set out to close the gap in the second half, and although they initially trailed by nine, a steal and bucket from their freshman guard Mike Haygood followed by a putback from senior forward Jeremy Spiecker brought the lead down to 31-28.

After a good defensive stop from Alpha, Cure nailed a deep jumper from just inside the 3-point arc to make it a 1-point game. Alpha tied the game at 31 by scoring a free throw from a technical foul call.

But Omega answered the mounting pressure as Martin and junior big man Andrew Eberle made back-to-back shots inside the paint. Junior Jonathan Eberle then found the net for a short jump shot.

Hammer drained a three for Alpha, but Andrew Eberle got to the rim to score again for Omega.

After both teams traded several baskets, Omega surged ahead thanks to the Eberle brothers, and Jonathan Eberle’s driving basket forced Alpha to call a timeout with the score 49-41 in favor of Omega.

A layup from Alpha’s Haygood closed the score to 49-45, but Alpha struggled from the free-throw line and did not shoot well enough to keep pace with Omega, who closed out the game for the victory.

Omega’s season ends on a high note, while Alpha prepares for the playoffs.

“We haven’t played consistently, which has been our biggest problem this season,” Spiecker said. “But I feel like in the [American League] anybody can come out in the championship.”