Staff Spotlight: David Orr

David Orr is the man behind Bob Jones University’s Welcome Center. Orr holds the official title of Welcome Center manager.

“We, in many ways, are the door to the University,” Orr said. “Our desire is to provide excellent hospitality.”

Orr said the purpose of his position is to work with his team to provide guests with the best experience possible. Orr works with two teams of student workers: the student ambassadors and the usher crew. Student ambassadors conduct tours of the University and answer questions from perspective students, parents and all guests who enter the Welcome Center.

Students on the usher crew help people find their seats for chapel and artist’s series. Ushers are also responsible for recitals and events throughout the week in Stratton Hall, War Memorial Chapel and Rodeheaver Auditorium, making sure all runs smoothly. Orr said, “My job entails organizing my teams to be able to serve as effectively as possible.”

This includes training students for both of these staffs and organizing the schedules for the various activities they are involved with. Orr’s history with BJU goes back to when he was a college student himself. Orr enrolled as a Bible major at BJU in 1988. After graduating, he attended five further years completing the Master of Divinity program.

During his grad school years, Orr worked as a box office manager. In this position he managed ticketing for artists series programs.

“It was during this time that the Lord directed my heart toward wanting to work full-time here,” Orr said. At this time Orr also became involved in a church an hour away from Greenville, which matched well with what he had been studying about church-based ministry.

“It was exciting to see how the Lord directed my path after grad school to enter into a role that was all about guest service,” Orr said.  The title of Orr’s position has changed during his time at BJU.

He started working under the title of special events coordinator, which later changed to guest services manager, and eventually became his current title, Welcome Center manager, with the opening of the Welcome Center in 2010.  Despite these name changes, the basic responsibilities of Orr’s job and the purpose behind them remains primarily unchanged.

Orr said, “The heart of what I have done ever since I was a [graduate assistant] has been guest services, and I love every minute of it.” Orr said his favorite part of his job is working with student workers.

“Probably the most rewarding aspect of what I do is being able to work alongside a wonderful team of students that all share the passion for serving others,” he said.  Orr said advising and helping student workers is enjoyable and energizing. Outside of work, Orr enjoys taking trips with his wife Laurie and their four children.

They have visited several national parks, including Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain, Yosemite, Devil’s Tower, Mount Rushmore and more.

“I believe that family is very important, and I want to make time for family and to be there for them,” Orr said.