BJU mourns sudden death of freshman student

Jose Andres Lopez Bono. Photo courtesy of BJU.

Bob Jones University announced the sudden death of Jose Andres Lopez Bono, 18, a freshman kinesiology major from Honduras. Lopez died Wednesday evening from an apparent cardiac event, according to a University announcement.

“Andres was an active member of the campus community, especially the international community,” BJU’s acting CEO Alan Benson said. “He was a member of the Nu Delta Chi Vikings and well-loved by the students who knew him.”

Half-staff flags for the passing of Jose Andres Lopez Bono. Photo courtesy of BJU. (Hal Cook)

Flags have been lowered to half-staff in memory of Lopez. Counselors from the Student Care Office will be available, and there will be a time of prayer at the Center for Global Opportunities on Thursday afternoon. Benson will share more about Lopez in Monday’s chapel at 11 a.m.

The International Student Organization and the Nu Delta Chi Vikings have created a GoFundMe to help raise funds for the family’s travel and funeral expenses. “Today we say farewell to a fellow brother and Viking legend, Jose Andrés Lopez,” the Vikings published on Instagram. “Rest easy amigo, you will forever live on in our thoughts and prayers.” The effort has raised over $12,500.

View Comments (1)