BJU hosts pro-life fundraiser with comedian Michael Jr.

Nathaniel Hendry
The fundraiser will take place at 7 p.m. in the Founder’s Memorial Amphitorium at Bob Jones University. Photo by Nathaniel Hendry

Piedmont Women’s Center, a faith-based, pro-life non-profit organization, aims to bring joy to the community during their Night for Life and Laughs on Sept. 29 at 7 p.m. in the Founder’s Memorial Amphitorium.

Kelly Ross, CEO of Piedmont Women’s Center, said she is excited for this opportunity. “The world has just been kind of heavy, and it’s felt like people just need a reason to call a timeout and come together and just experience joy again,” Ross said. She hopes the night allows people to remember life before the pandemic and reflect on how God is working in the community.

The event will feature comedian Michael Jr. to create a night of laughter and fun for the audience. Michael Jr. acted in the Kendrick brothers’ movie War Room and has authored several books. He credits God with giving him the ability to make others laugh so that he can open hearts and make a positive change in the world.

Piedmont Women’s Center empowers women with unplanned pregnancies to protect the lives of their children by providing free services such as pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, maternity resources, STI/STD testing and treatment, wellness exams and child-loss support. Ross said this fundraising event will help the organization continue offering free services to the community.

Jenelle Poore, an event coordinator at Bob Jones University, believes this is a wonderful opportunity for BJU to share its support of choosing life for unborn children. “The ladies and gentlemen [at Piedmont Women’s Center] do a great job of supporting life and the rights of unborn children, and we are all for that as we understand that God has commanded that we not take life—that we support life,” she said.

BJU has long supported pro-life organizations. In addition to previously hosting Night for Life, BJU conducted a fundraiser in 2020 to buy a Save the Storks mobile medical unit for the Carolina Pregnancy Center in Spartanburg. The university community raised over $185,000 to put towards the unit.

Ross shared that the community could help the Piedmont Women’s Center’s cause beyond attending the Night for Life by praying, serving and giving. She said, “What we’re really looking for people to do is pray that we’re effective.” Those interested in interning or supporting the center can visit their website.

BJU’s longstanding commitment to pro-life causes comes from its commitments to the biblical teaching about the personhood of every human from conception. “For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well” (Psalm 139:13-14).