Caroling spreads holiday cheer

BJU Photo
Students carol at Shepherd’s Care. Dec. 7, 2017 (BJU Marketing/ Stephen Dysert).

Students can participate in a Christmas caroling outreach, sponsored by the Center for Global Opportunities, on Dec. 14 from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.  Bob Jones University students will have the opportunity to sing at a Greenville city plaza downtown.

This outreach will give students the opportunity to spread the love of Christ to the Greenville community. From a faculty perspective, there is a lot of purpose in putting on an event like this.

The caroling event is one of two student body outreaches the CGO sponsors each semester.  Since the event is scheduled close to Christmas, the caroling should attract a lot of people and engage them enough to participate. 

Leader of urban evangelism Benn Silveira is excited for what this opportunity will provide the students.  “[The caroling] will be an attempt to engage the people … in downtown Greenville in a conversation of the Gospel while showing the love of Christ by handing out free hot chocolate,” he said.

While there have been caroling outreaches at BJU in previous years, this is the first year that the CGO partnered with urban evangelism to sponsor the event. 

Because of this, Silveira anticipates that the number of students participating may be fewer but encourages whoever is able to come out. “Come with a willing heart to sing and engage in Gospel conversations,” Silveira said. 

Sign-ups for the event will be sent out after Thanksgiving break with more details included.