Alumni Spotlight: Tim Nanney

Mortgages, land records, satisfaction documents—though these documents may not seem incredibly important to you now, the day will come when you will need access to at least one. 

In order to gain access to such records, you need not look too far. If you live in Greenville County, the man you need to ask is Tim Nanney. 

Nanney is the Register of Deeds for Greenville County, meaning that his office houses and maintains every land transaction, mortgage and property tax from 1786 to the present both physically in the Register’s Office and digitally on the county’s website. Nanney graduated from Bob Jones University in 1986 with a bachelor’s degree in business administration and went on to earn a master’s of business administration, also from the University. 

“I was inspired by the mission of the faculty and staff to be servant leaders [at BJU],” Nanney said. “I learned to lead like a Christian, especially given how Christ was the perfect servant leader.”  As a civil servant, Nanney is familiar with the scrutiny that Christians are put under in the secular workplace. 

“Because the world is so divided, and our country especially, you have to make a choice,” he said. “If you stand up for Christ, you’re going to be mocked, attacked and ridiculed.” 

Nanney’s advice for college students, reminiscent of the biblical command found in Joshua 24:15, is to “make up your mind.”  And he has. Nanney has been strong in his faith, especially with his support of his wife’s part in pro-life legislation.

In 1986, Nanney married Wendy Taylor. She is the daughter of Bob Taylor, former dean of the College of Arts and Science and member of the Greenville County Council. 

Wendy Nanney also received a bachelor’s degree from Bob Jones University and served as a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives from 2008 to 2016.  She currently serves as practice manager of Piedmont Women’s Center. 

The Nanneys have five children—Meredith, Taylor, Kasey, Travis and Maggie.  In addition, the Nanneys have four grandchildren, or “grandbabies” as Tim Nanney affectionately calls them.