Christian schools recruit BJU students at conference

BJU Photo
Christian School Recruitment Conference in the Davis Room of the Dixon McKenzie Dining Common, Feb. 19, 2018. (BJU Marketing/Derek Eckenroth)

More than 75 Christian schools will arrive on campus Monday for the annual Christian School Recruitment Conference, an event BJU has hosted since 1970.

Since the beginning, the conference has served to connect BJU students with Christian schools all over the U.S. and the world who are looking to recruit teachers, administrators, coaches, office staff, marketing staff and more.

Throughout Monday and Tuesday Feb. 18-19, school administrators will be set up with their displays in the Davis Room of the dining common.

All students are welcome to stop in on Monday from 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.

On Monday evening, from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.  the displays are open specifically for all juniors and seniors, and then from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. the displays will be open to all students again.

Any interested students are encouraged to stop by the displays Tuesday from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m., when the conference will end.

Jane Smith, director of Career Services who oversees organizing the event, said the conference is for students from all majors.

While the event is required for all students in the School of Education, Smith said there are many different opportunities at the conference for any students who go.

“The schools also need Bible teachers, coaches, business personnel, marketing personnel and other support staff,” Smith said. “I encourage all students to be open to ministry opportunities. This is not just for teachers!”

Smith said there are many benefits for students who attend. “This conference gives students an opportunity to talk with and get to know the administrators of these schools,” she said. “This will certainly help them develop their interpersonal and networking skills.”

Smith said the conference will give students an opportunity to see the needs in Christian schools.

Smith has talked to some students who became interested in a school after attending the conference during their freshman or sophomore year and ended up signing a contract with that school before their senior year. “There are so many opportunities and so many needs,” she said.

Dr. Jeremy Watts, chair of the Division of Teacher Education, said he recently talked to a BJU graduate who, when she was a freshman, contacted a school through this conference and was able to build a relationship with the school throughout her time at BJU. When she was ready, she was offered and accepted a job from the school. “What an incredible story!” Watts said.

Dr. Brian Carruthers, Dean of the School of Education, encourages all students from freshmen to seniors to stop by the Davis Room and speak with the recruiters. He said the conference is one of the largest recruiting events on campus. 

“Even if students aren’t immediately looking for employment, they can be building relationships with these ministries,” Carruthers said. ””It definitely is an encouragement to these ministries, who come at a sacrifice of time and money.”

Smith advises students to dress professionally and have their resumes ready. Practicing their “elevator pitch,” a brief introduction of themselves, is another good idea.

Students who need help polishing their resumes and introductions can stop by Career Services in Alumni 206 for help.

Smith also suggested that students go on the Career Service’s website and look at the list of schools coming to the conference so they can decide which ones they would like to visit.

She said events like these can be a little overwhelming to students, especially for those who are attending for the first time. “A little prep will help minimize that,” she said.

Smith said she hopes students will take full advantage of the opportunities ahead. “They should pursue open doors and see where God leads them,” she said.