Coffee enthusiasts find cozy escape at Bella Latte

A Milky Way latte is made with dark chocolate and caramel. Photo: Rebecca Snyder

From a simple cup of freshly roasted coffee to a sweet creative concoction, Bella Latte caters to the caffeine enthusiast.

Paul Melotte, owner and CEO of Bella Latte’s parent company Melotte Enterprises, opened the first Bella Latte in 2006.

Melotte and his wife, Sissy Melotte, describe themselves as “lifelong coffee aficionados” and now own three Bella Latte locations—one in Duncan and two in Spartanburg.

In addition to owning Bella Latte, Melotte is the proprietor of Mozza Roasters as well as several Wayback Burgers and Little Caesars locations.

Like any traditional coffee shop, Bella Latte serves the staples such as lattes, cortados and iced coffee.

For those who like their coffee on the sweeter side, however, the café offers an array of its own creations such as the “Snowflake,” a white chocolate mocha with spiced brown sugar syrup and “Turtle Tracks”—a sugary blend of dark chocolate, caramel and macadamia nut.

Non-coffee options include chai, hot chocolate, fruit smoothies and iced green tea. Most drinks fall into the $2 to $5 range.

One feature of Bella Latte that has set them apart from competitors is the undertaking of roasting their own coffee beans.

Coffees from around the world, including many single-origin coffees, are roasted in-house by Mozza Roasters at Bella Latte’s Spartanburg location.

Located about 20 minutes northeast of campus, the Duncan location of Bella Latte provides a cozy study escape from the typical bustle of Greenville coffee shops.

The café is currently decked out with colorful fall décor and seats around 30 customers, with additional seating on the outdoor patio.

The Duncan location is open Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and is closed Sundays.