Homecoming 2017

Balloon art was one of many family-friendly activities at last year’s U.Day street fair. Photo: Derek Eckenroth/BJU Marketing

With midterms closing in and projects flooding students’ schedules, many students probably would like some way to relax in the midst of the busy semester.

This Homecoming weekend will provide multiple opportunities for fun and involvement, including the Bruins Family Game Show, the U.Day street fair and tailgating between the Bruins women’s and men’s soccer games tomorrow.

The Bruins Family Game Show will begin tonight at 8:30 p.m. in Rodeheaver Auditorium and is expected to be  bigger than last year.

Drew Bullock, an usher from last year’s game, said that the game show was so unexpectedly popular last year that the ushers had to turn away scores of people.

In anticipation of another large crowd this year the game show will be held in Rodeheaver Auditorium instead of Stratton Hall.

While last year’s show featured a lipsync-off between President Steve Pettit and Chancellor Bob Jones III, the content of the program will be new this year.

Hosted by BJU alumnus Andrew Buhr, the show will follow Superman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman and Thor on their quest to find a homecoming king or queen.

The U.Day street fair will be held tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

This year there will be over 50 booths representing student organizations and campus departments.

This number is twice as many as last year, according to Abby White of BJU’s public relations office. 

This increase in booths allows for more interactions among students, alumni and other visitors.

Multiple activities will be family-oriented and every booth will offer an activity for children.

The University Marketing Association will host an addition to this year’s U.Day street fair— a rubber duck race in the front campus fountain.

Ron Hamilton, Patch the Pirate, will perform a concert in Rodeheaver Auditorium at 2 p.m. right after the end of the street fair.

Tailgating tomorrow will also be different this year, according to women’s ISC director Lydia Zeller.

“Last year each society kind of planned [its] own individual party for the tailgate,” Zeller said.

“This year we’re going to turn it into one big party.”

Students are directly involved in the planning, and this year tailgating will have a team competition element.

Zeller compared the tailgate to a “mini-Rush” because of the event’s high-energy level  and opportunity for society involvement.

Zeller and men’s ISC director David Sulaiman said they hope the event will help unite the University around the Bruins, as it will lead into the men’s soccer game.

Tailgating will be on the lower soccer fields after the women’s 4 p.m. soccer game.

From there students will join together in a parade back to Alumni Stadium right before the Bruins men’s soccer game at 7 p.m.