Week at a glance

Opus 6 Concerts
Tonight, 5 p.m., M&G and 6:30 p.m., Lighting Ceremony

Made up of six BJU undergraduate and graduate students, the Opus 6 ensemble will perform an assortment of Christmas carols tonight at the Museum & Gallery’s “Christmas Music with the Masters” event from 5 to 6 p.m. Later this evening, the ensemble will also participate in BJU’s annual lighting ceremony, which begins at 6:30 p.m. During both events, members of Opus 6 won’t be hard to find: just look for the characters out of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol wearing top hats, bonnets and shawls.

In addition to the ensemble’s appearance on campus Friday night, the group will travel Saturday to the renowned Grove Park Inn in Asheville, N.C., to continue spreading Christmas cheer through song.

The name “Opus 6” was given to the ensemble by Dr. David Parker, a music faculty member and the co-director of the ensemble. He said he came across a vocal group called “Opus 8,” which he then adjusted to align with the number of BJU ensemble members.

Presently, Opus 6, under the direction of both Dr. Parker and music faculty member Mrs. Christa Habegger, consists of two sopranos, one alto, one tenor and two basses. Although all of the group’s members are currently taking voice lessons, they are not all voice majors.

Dr. Parker said Opus 6 began two years ago in order to form an ensemble that would represent the voice department at different events and provide students with an opportunity to sing in small chamber choral groups.

WBJU Christmas Broadcast
Tonight, Snack Shop, 6:45 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.

Following the Christmas lighting ceremony, the Snack Shop will be abuzz with the sights and sounds of Christmas. Each year, WBJU sets up a remote Christmas broadcast in the Snack Shop for those who can’t get enough of the Christmas festivities.

Journalism and mass communication majors run the event by hosting Christmas games and contests, taking requests for traditional carols and fun, festive songs, overseeing Christmas sing-offs and giving away prizes, which include gift cards from local restaurants.

Mrs. Kathryn Gamet, a JMC faculty member, said that along with the Christmas lighting ceremony, the broadcast helps kick off the festive holiday mood. “I think everybody gets back from Thanksgiving a little depressed,” she said. “But that night gets everyone excited for that last little push to the end.”

String Chamber Recital
Saturday, 5 p.m., War Memorial Chapel and Monday, 5 p.m., Stratton Hall

Various student chamber groups will perform both tomorrow at 5 p.m. in War Memorial Chapel and Monday at 5 p.m. in Stratton Hall. Music faculty member Miss Kristin Figard said tomorrow’s performance will include music for guitars, violins, violas, cellos and piano. A total of 23 musicians, specifically 22 students and adjunct faculty member Dr. Patrick Flynn, will perform pieces by Svendsen, Chausson and Kimble.

Monday’s recital will feature 16 students playing violins, violas and cellos to the music of Mendelssohn, Schubert and Shostakovich. Miss Figard said that even though neither recital is centered on a particular theme, both encompass a variety of international pieces including French, Swedish, Swiss, German and Russian.

The participants in the upcoming recitals are not necessarily music majors, however. In fact, performers include a student majoring in accounting and another in biology.

Miss Figard encourages students to attend the recital and especially to take note of the unique communication between the musicians. “Because there is no conductor, the musicians have to communicate musical ideas to each other and stay together without the aid of [a director],” she said. “It is musical camaraderie at its best.”

Mid-Year Art Exhibit
Monday, Sargent Art Building

Exceptional artwork submitted by art majors and students taking art lessons will be displayed in the Sargent Art Building beginning Monday until Jan. 10. The exhibit will showcase art students’ work from the past semester.

Mr. Jay Bopp, chairman of the Division of Art and Design, said the display will include a wide range of art media including paintings, prints, drawings, textiles and digital work.

Mr. Bopp said that all art students are required to submit work, and a panel of art and design faculty then chooses about 50 to 60 pieces to put on display. Several of the pieces receive ribbons for either merit awards or honorable mention awards.

Senior studio art major Julia Miles has entered graphite portraits in past mid-year art exhibits and plans to enter ink drawings and a painting this year. Miles said the exhibit allows the BJU family to see its peers’ work and appreciate the gifts God has given them. “It’s a chance to absorb something different than the normal school routine,” she said.