Cobras edge Patriots for title

The Cobras finished the 2015 volleyball season undefeated. Photo: Ciara Weant

The Pi Kappa Sigma Cobras scored their second intramural championship title this spring with a 3-1 set victory over the Beta Gamma Delta Patriots in the men’s intramural volleyball championship.

In the first game, both teams exhibited understandable nerves on the championship stage. Pi Kappa had five serving errors that kept Beta within striking distance. The Cobras, however, relied on their height advantage to keep the Patriots at bay, and the Cobras topped the Patriots with relative ease to take a 1-0 lead.

The Patriots controlled the second game from the beginning. Beta pulled out in front quickly, but serving errors and inconsistent play allowed Pi Kappa to pull even at 14. What the Patriots lacked in size, they made up for in athleticism, which helped them regain the lead and forced the Cobras to call a timeout with Beta up 23-20. Despite the timeout, Beta tied the match up 1-1 with a 25-23 win in game two.

It did not take long for Pi Kappa to rebound in the third game, as they quickly pulled in front 10-4. The Cobras took full advantage of their tall front line as John Dalrymple and Andrew Paquette began to hinder Beta’s ability to find open avenues to hit. The Cobras easily took game three 25-18, as the match headed to the fourth set with the Cobras up two games to one.

Finding themselves at a two-game deficit to open the fourth set, the Patriots capitalized on several Cobra errors to go up 24-18, only needing one more point to take the Cobras to a decisive game five. But the Cobras would not relent. The Patriots were forced to use a timeout as their lead evaporated to a single point.

But the timeout did not halt the Cobras’ comeback as Dalrymple blocked a Beta spike to tie things at 24. The teams battled back and forth, building the score until it was tied at 31. The Cobras inched ahead to take a 31-30 lead, and the lanky Dalrymple killed a well-placed spike to finish off the Patriots.

The Cobras finished their season undefeated and were able to take home their second championship of the semester with titles in both volleyball and softball.

John Dalrymple (left) and Blake Counts jump to block a spike. Photo: Ciara Weant