Students to gather for Easter Sunrise Service

Students gather in Alumni Stadium for the special Easter Sunrise Service in 2014. Photo: Photo Services

Early this Sunday morning as the sun begins to rise, many students will gather at 7 a.m. to celebrate our risen Savior in a special Easter Sunrise Service at Alumni Stadium.

A long-standing tradition, the Easter Sunrise Service offers students a special opportunity to celebrate Easter.

Dr. Nathan Crockett, director of ministerial training, said the service is a way to set the day apart and be out in God’s creation.

Conducted by the ministerial class officers, the service will consist of songs about Christ’s resurrection, some special music and a short challenge from ministerial class president Ben Jacquot.

Throughout the many years of sunrise services at BJU, the basic outline of the service has not changed much, but Crockett does recall the event being more formal in his days as a student.

“The girls would get dressed up in Easter dresses and come with their boyfriends,” Crockett said. “There just used to be a different feel to it.” Crockett said the student body is simply more casual than it used to be.

Crockett said such a service might be “the norm” for students who grew up at a church that regularly had sunrise services on Easter, but for students who didn’t grow up attending sunrise services, the idea might seem a little strange.

Though attending the service requires a little sacrifice of sleep, Crockett believes it is a unique opportunity that students will enjoy.

“It’s pretty neat watching the sun rise as you’re singing about the resurrection,” Crockett said.

Regardless of whether you are familiar with Easter sunrise services or not, Crockett said attending the service will be a memorable experience.

“It might be one of the few times in your life that you will be gathered together with a group of believers, singing corporately of the resurrection while watching the sunrise,” Crockett said.

In the event of rain, the service will be held in Stratton Hall.