BJU Symphony Orchestra to perform at SCMEA by special invitation

Dr. Michael Moore directs rehearsal for the BJU Symphony Orchestra. Photo: Ethan Rogers

The Bob Jones University Symphony Orchestra was notified in August that it had been chosen to perform at the South Carolina Music Educators Association Feb. 6 in Columbia based on an audition recording, which they had submitted this past spring.

Dr. Michael Moore, director of the BJU Symphony Orchestra, said, “We are very honored to be selected by audition to be the featured performance at the SCMEA general session; we’ll have a great opportunity to showcase our orchestral program, as well as the BJU Division of Music.”

SCMEA is an organization for music educators of all levels. Each year SCMEA hosts a conference that includes workshops and performances by musical groups from within the state and around the world.

Performing at the 2015 conference is a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the members of the BJU Symphony Orchestra, Moore said. In addition, the conference will allow BJU’s quality music program to be put on display for other music educators to see.

The orchestra will play a wide selection of pieces, beginning with “Don Pasquale” by Gaetano Donizetti and ending with Antonin Dvorak’s “Carnival Overture.”

In addition, Dr. Seth Custer, head of the department of music theory and technology, has been commissioned to compose an original song for the performance. For another song, two of the music faculty members will be featured: Kristin Leonovich on violin and her husband, Yuriy Leonovich, on cello.

Nicole Kandil, a senior music education major who is the principal oboe player for the orchestra, said, “Our group is a testimony to God, and through our playing and performance God can do many, many things.”

She said she enjoys playing with the other orchestra members but especially appreciates the final product when all the work finally pays off.

Another member of the orchestra, Catherine Monczewski, a junior music education major, said she hopes to visit some of the workshops and is looking forward to performing with her fellow musicians. “I always enjoy playing with the orchestra,” Monczewski said. “There is something really cool about getting together with your friends and making beautiful music, something that everyone can appreciate.”

Earlier this year the BJU Symphony Orchestra had the opportunity to perform in the first Concert, Opera & Drama Series event of the semester with violinist David Kim, concertmaster of the Philadelphia Orchestra. The orchestra will also accompany the University’s choirs as they perform Handel’s Messiah Dec. 12 and 13.