Merit pages provide showcase for excellence

Merit pages provide students with a platform for showcasing their achievements. Photo: Tatiana Bento

Have you ever Googled your name? If so, you’ve probably noticed that you have a BJU Merit page. But what exactly is a Merit page?

Used by more than 500 institutions across the country, Merit is valuable marketing software that offers personalized online Web pages where students can share achievements, activities and work experience with friends, family and potential employers. In addition, students can personalize their pages with profile pictures, cover photos and bio sections.

Setting up your page is simple: access the pre-made page through the Merit page email link sent to your student email account during the first month of the semester. Upon accepting your page, you can share your achievements through Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and other online platforms.

Along with being used for social purposes, Merit pages can benefit students when applying for jobs. Randy Page, director of public relations at BJU, said students can use Merit pages as supplements to résumés and LinkedIn. For example, when a student is named to the dean’s list, an award in the form of a Merit badge is added by the University to his or her profile, creating a verifiable achievement that potential employers will see when they research BJU job candidates on the Internet. Students are notified of an added accomplishment via email. “We put the information in, and it creates an individualized story for every student,” Page said.

Your achievements are not limited to social media, however. When the university adds an accomplishment to your page, Merit sends the information to media in your hometown, such as local newspapers and websites.

At the close of last semester, Merit dispensed approximately 1,400 press releases across the nation for BJU students who were added to the dean’s list. Hundreds of articles were then published, broadcasting BJU students’ perseverance and diligence in their studies.

These Merit pages and press releases not only benefit individual students, but also the University as a whole. Once the University adds an achievement to your page, the achievement is added to BJU’s Merit account as well. These accumulated achievements allow the University to showcase its educational excellence by showcasing you as a student. By viewing BJU’s Merit page at bju.meritpages.com, prospective students, employers and family can see the University’s high quality of professionalism, academics and extra-curricular activities. “I think as an educational institution, what our students are doing tells our story, and through the use of products like Merit, people are able to see the value of a Bob Jones [University] education,” Page said.

For any questions regarding Merit pages, please contact Randy Page at [email protected].