Tigers defeat Kangas, win in 2 sets

The Theta Delta Omicron Tigers defeated the Tau Delta Chi Kangaroos in a volleyball match Thursday, Sept. 25, winning in two straight sets. The Tigers, having beaten the Pirates and Wildcats earlier this season, move to 3-0. The Kangaroos, with victories over the Owls and Ambassadors, now drop to 2-1.

The game started with senior Rebecca Bredehoft of the Tigers hammering two powerful spikes, both of which were returned by the Kangas, and then tipping the ball over the defense to give the Tigers the first point of the game.

After a missed Tiger serve, Bredehoft had another spike to give her two spikes in the first three points. Bredehoft proved to be a powerful force that the Tigers turned to again and again.

Theta Delta jumped out to an early 11-6 lead after three consecutive points coming from the effective serving of sophomore Hannah Anderson.

When the score read 13-7, the Kangas called a timeout to try to regain some momentum and slow the Tiger offense. The Kangas’ defense seemed to improve and communication was better, but it was still not enough to stop the Tigers. The Tigers went on a 12-5 scoring rampage to end the set 25-10, including eight unanswered points to close out with three spikes, a block and a tip coming from Bredehoft.

The second set was a big turnaround for Tau Delta as they were able to keep the score close throughout the set, never getting down by more than six and coming to within one point toward the end. Junior Bethany Williams added some pressure for the Kangas at the net and did a good job offensively, catching the Tiger defense off guard on more than one occasion.

Adding to success of the Kangas were several errors committed by the Tigers, who had several hits into the net and numerous hits and serves out of bounds. However, the Tigers didn’t let themselves fall behind late in the game and kept doing what was working for them: spiking. Although the Kangas did come within one point at 16-15, that was as close as they would get to catching the Tigers.

The Tigers finished the set 25-22, surviving one final run, in which the Kangas scored four consecutive points to close the gap to two, 24-22.

The second set win gave the Tigers their third win of the season, while handing the Kangas their first loss.