BJU commemorates 9/11 tragedy with front campus display, chapel service

The+Bob+Jones+University+student+body+commemorated+the+9%2F11+tragedy+with+a+patriotic+display+on+front+campus.+Photo%3A+Tatiana+Bento+
Tatiana Bento
The Bob Jones University student body commemorated the 9/11 tragedy with a patriotic display on front campus. Photo: Tatiana Bento

As the nation paused to remember the tragic events of Sept. 11, 2001, the student body at Bob Jones University did its part to ensure that America would not forget the day that changed the lives of so many forever.

Beginning Sept. 8, a group of student volunteers, including the entire men’s intercollegiate basketball team, began assembling a display of miniature American flags near the Wade Hampton Boulevard entrance to the campus. The flags are arranged on either side of the entrance, depicting the World Trade Center on one side and the Pentagon on the other.

The flag-formed silhouettes measure 12 feet wide and 80 feet tall for each Twin Tower and 80 feet wide and 80 feet tall for the Pentagon. Each flag in the display represents one of the 2,977 people who perished in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

“It’s important for all of us to remember what happened on 9/11,” said BJU President Steve Pettit in a statement released by the University. “Many lost their lives in heroic attempts to save others. We owe a debt of gratitude to those first responders who, day in and day out, never shrink from their duty to protect and serve others.”

Men’s student body president Matthew Arnold, who helped to arrange the display, said he hopes it will be a memorial to all the lives lost on 9/11, especially as we get further away from that date.

“It’s an event that should never be forgotten,” he said. “As the Student Leadership Council, we want to do our part to make sure that the student body doesn’t forget.”

Women’s student body president Carol Anne Matthews, who was also actively involved in the initiative, was impressed with the level of student involvement.

“Just to see students come out and get involved with that type of thing, especially at the beginning of the semester, was phenomenal to see,” she said.

In addition to the flag display, BJU commemorated the 9/11 tragedy with a special chapel service on Thursday, Sept. 11. During this special service, a piece of steel girder, originally from the North Tower at the World Trade Center in New York City, given to the University by the September 11th Families’ Association, was unveiled.

The flags on front campus will remain on display until Monday, Sept. 15.