Q&A with Ryan McCarty

Q: If you could play a sport other than soccer, what would it be?

A: “I would probably play basketball. I played for the Academy for a couple of years, but I definitely liked soccer better.”

Q: How will you use your experience as a soccer player in your career and life?

A: “Through playing with the Bruins there are a lot of lessons I have learned along the way. Teamwork and leadership are both skills and attributes that we have stressed as a team. Another is the self-determination to push hard even when I don’t want to. That kind of mindset is important throughout all of life, not just soccer.”

Q: What is your favorite part about being a Bruin?

A: “The camaraderie with the teammates is my favorite part for sure. All the things we do offseason with each other and the offseason activities are incredibly memorable. The practices at 6 a.m. on Wednesday mornings when everyone is so tired definitely build team unity as we all have to work together.”

Q: Who is a hero of yours? Why?

A: “My dad is one of my heroes. The older I get, the more I realize how supportive and encouraging he is. He has always been a great example of hard work and dedication, and yet he still always has time to come home and spend time with his family. He is honest with me and [is] a very humble man. My dad possesses many attributes and character qualities that I hope to emulate one day as a father.”

Q: Who has been your favorite professor at BJU so far? Favorite class?

A: “Dr. Mazak. His humor and what I can take away from the class always keeps me attentive. My favorite class is Fundamentals of Counseling, which is taught by Dr. Mazak.”

Q: What is the most important lesson you have learned while playing for the Bruins?

A: “Learning discipline and working hard go hand in hand. Discipline enables you to do things you don’t want to — such as full-field sprints at the end of practice. The fact that I cannot quit when it gets hard is probably the most important lesson that I have learned while playing for the Bruins.”

Q: Describe your favorite game that you ever played?

A: “I think our win over Reinhardt by one goal in overtime was probably my favorite game. Of course the inaugural game in front of so many people was amazing, but the Reinhardt game ended better.”

Q: Which famous athlete(s) would you choose to hang out with?

A: Tim Tebow, Zidane, the Men’s U.S. soccer team, Coach Alex Ferguson