U.S. senator to share testimony, discuss faith, leadership

Sen. Tim Scott supports the Christian’s active role in government. Photo: Submitted

U.S. Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) will speak at the next Presidential Leadership Series event on Tuesday, April 22, at 7 p.m. in Founder’s Memorial Amphitorium. Both the University family and the Greenville community are invited to attend.

Scott plans to give his personal testimony and talk about the importance of his faith in his everyday life. He will also discuss the leadership tactics used by Jesus Christ Himself. Following his remarks, Scott will take questions from the audience.

The audience will be able to see from the perspective of a Christian government official that Christians can make a difference in government.

According to Scott, “College students should be knowledgeable to a certain extent about politics and the government because government has such a disproportional impact in the college student’s life today.” Scott said Christian college students need to be especially aware of the impact government has on their freedom of worship and freedom of speech.

“We are, in fact, a people led by the individual and not by government,” Scott said, and added that Christian college students should be doing their part to make a difference. He cited three main ways for students to become involved.

First, Scott suggests investing in campaigns, causes or individuals that you believe in. Second, he suggests being as informed as possible. Scott’s third suggestion is to debate differing ideas about government and current issues with other students.

Scott said, “What I believe to be some of the most important issues facing college students today is the U. S. debt, the economy, the student debt that is often accumulated in the college years, and a sense of self-awareness.” According to Scott, this sense of self-awareness for Christian college students starts with their faith.

“My faith is my foundation for my life, as imperfect as I am,” Scott said. “It is the compass. From a legislative standpoint and a public service standpoint, my faith educates me on the difference between right and wrong.”

Scott relies on prayer and God’s Word to help him through each day in his role as a U.S. senator. He gives the example of a time when he was praying for the financial future of the nation and turned for help to Proverbs 22:7, which says, “The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.”

According to his biography on scott.senate.gov, Scott grew up poor in a single-parent household in North Charleston, S.C.  From humble beginnings, Scott built one of the most successful Allstate insurance agencies in South Carolina, Tim Scott Allstate.

Scott was sworn in to the Senate in January 2013, appointed by South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley to fill the unexpired term of former U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint.

This Presidential Leadership Series event is open to the public. Free parking will be available in the parking garage, and the FMA doors will open at 6:30 p.m.