Joy of Resurrection to be celebrated at Easter Sunrise Service

Cameron Pollock leads in song at last year’s sunrise service. Photo: Photo Services

More than just a festive spring holiday, Easter is a time to reflect on Christ’s Resurrection. The ministerial class officers are organizing a Sunrise Service Easter morning to help the student body do just that.

The service, a campus tradition for decades, will begin at 7 a.m. at Alumni Stadium and last approximately 45 minutes. In case of rain, the service will be moved to Stratton Hall. Dr. Bruce McAllister, professor in the Division of Practical Studies and director of outreach ministries, said the bleachers will be wiped off from pollen and dirt beforehand, so don’t be afraid to wear your Easter best to the service. McAllister expects 200 to 300 people to attend the event.

The service will begin with a piano prelude by staff GA Ethan Holmes, followed by a hymn and a scripture reading. After a second hymn, special music will be “Alas! and Did My Savior Bleed?” presented by a 12-person vocal ensemble, accompanied by Holmes on the piano.

Jordan Allen, president of the ministerial class, will give a message on Christ’s resurrection.

Ethan Hamilton, vice president of the ministerial class, has attended the service in the past and is now involved in planning this year’s service.

“I think that focusing on the Resurrection and magnifying the event is important,” Hamilton said. “When it comes to preaching the Gospel, [the Resurrection] is not really focused on. I think it’s cool that what we’re focusing on is a big enough deal to people to get up early. That’s what highlights it for me. I think that the variety of the event, being up early and outside, gives extra meaning to it and magnifies it even more.”

Mike Betancourt, a junior Bible major, participated in the special music for the service last year.

“Honestly, the best part to me was seeing the fellowship going on before and after the service,” he said. “It was encouraging to me to see all the people who had come to not only worship, but also to encourage others on the Easter Sunday.