Championship soccer team honored at banner raising

Athletic Director Ring congratulates a member of the national championship team. Photo: Amanda Ross

It is said that defense wins championships. It also helps when your team consists of three NCCAA first-team All-Americans, the most outstanding player, four all-tournament players, and the coach of the year.

The BJU women’s soccer team made history this past season as they became the first Bruins team to bring a national championship trophy home to Greenville.

Bruin Nation united on Friday night to honor the staff, players and coaches of the 2013 NCCAA Division II National Champions.

“Our team thrived this season mostly because of the team unity we possessed,” senior and 2013 most outstanding player Becca Luttrell said. “Over the course of the season our chemistry is what pulled us through all the way to the championship.”

Friday night, fans rose and cheered as the 2013 soccer champions took the floor in single file, following a dominating performance by the men’s basketball team. After a statement from Coach Chris Carmichael, during which he thanked his staff, fans and players, the team received championship rings.

But there was one more item on the agenda. The second year program needed to have a championship banner raised in their honor. Lights dimmed and Athletic Director Neal Ring stepped into the spotlight. He praised the team’s hard work and dedication and reminisced on how it had been only two years since he was on the floor of the Davis Field House announcing the Bruins intercollegiate sports program. The banner was raised out of the darkness and into the shining spotlight. For the first time, BJU students could applaud national champions hailing from their own school.

The 2013 women’s soccer team will forever hold a place in history, and many Bruins teams to come will strive for the same end result.