Sports Blurbs

1. The Seattle Seahawks defeated the Denver Broncos 43-8 to win the 2014 Super Bowl on Sunday, Feb. 2. The Seahawks’ defense dominated the Broncos from the first play (a safety, courtesy of a botched Denver snap) to the very end of the game. Seattle’s defense, the best in the league, also caused four turnovers against five-time MVP Peyton Manning and the Broncos. The Seahawks ended the season with a 16-3 record, and this is their first Super Bowl victory in franchise history.
  2. Carmelo Anthony of the New York Knicks has scored a franchise record 62 points in a 125-96 blowout victory against the Charlotte Bobcats. Bernard King previously held the Knicks’ scoring record at 60 points, while Kobe Bryant held the Madison Square Garden scoring record at 61 points. “Melo” later tweeted: “It was just one of those zones you go into. Only a certain group of people know what that zone feels like.”
  3. In NCAA men’s basketball, No. 1 ranked Arizona suffered its first loss of the season to California by a score of 60-58. Unranked California defeated Arizona on a buzzer-beater from Justin Cobbs. Cobbs, scoring the last 12 points for Cal, gave his team its first win over a top-ranked team since 1994.