Conference to emphasize Christian witness in today’s world

BJU Photo Services
Seminary students attend a session at last year’s conference. Photo: Submitted

The Seminary Conference scheduled for Feb. 11-13 has been cancelled due to impending weather conditions.

The Bob Jones University Seminary and Graduate School of Religion will host its annual conference next week, focusing on the role of Christians as distinctive witnesses in the modern world.

This year’s conference, titled “In the World, But Not of It,” will feature various seminary faculty members and will begin Tuesday evening and end with chapel on Thursday.

Keynote speaker Tim Lovegrove is the senior pastor of Grace Bible Church in Menifee, Calif. After graduating from BJU, he planted Grace Bible Church in 2003, and as a pastor in California’s liberal culture, he has seen firsthand the complex cultural questions that Christians face on a daily basis. “Tim is a thoughtful and very biblically grounded thinker and preacher,” said Jim Berg, conference coordinator. “These are the kinds of issues that he faces routinely with his congregation.”

In the secular culture that Christians must interact with on a daily basis, it’s extremely important to know the appropriate balance between reaching out to the world and staying grounded in biblical truth and providing a witness to unbelievers.

This year’s theme of living out your faith in the midst of an increasingly sinful culture continues the seminary’s trend of focusing on immediately relevant, practical topics. “There is a lot of misunderstanding about what ‘worldliness’ is,” Berg said. “We need to be biblically accurate and thoughtful about God’s command, ‘Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world.’”

While the seminary students are the main focus of the conference, faculty, staff and students may attend any of the sessions during their free hours. For those who do not have the entire session time free and need to arrive late or leave early, audio and video of the sessions will be streamed live in Levinson Hall. Handouts and schedules will be provided.

All sessions, except the chapel sessions on Wednesday and Thursday, will meet in Stratton Hall. More information can be found online at bju.edu/seminaryconference.