2013 Turkey Bowl keeps classic game, adds new events

Beta+will+defend+its+Turkey+Bowl+winning+streak+against+Alpha+in+the+annual+intramural+society+championship.++Photo%3A+Amanda+Ross+
Amanda Ross
Beta will defend its Turkey Bowl winning streak against Alpha in the annual intramural society championship. Photo: Amanda Ross

The 2013 Turkey Bowl will take place tomorrow at Alumni Stadium in an event promising much more than a soccer game. The traditional intramural soccer championship event will be expanded this year as the Student Leadership Council is hoping to reach more families in the Greenville community.

“We will have a lot of fall activities for college [students] and families, basically anyone from the elderly to young people. Our goal is to cater to a larger audience and create some excitement,” said senior Joel Biester, men’s ISC coordinator.

This year’s Turkey Bowl festivities will begin at 6:30 p.m., and the men’s intramural soccer championship between the Alpha Theta Pi Razorbacks and the Beta Gamma Delta Patriots will follow at 7 p.m. The intramural all-star game will cap off the evening at 8:30 p.m.

The evening will involve live music, fall-themed games, a photo booth and guest vendors, including a Port City Java tent and Chick-fil-A. There will be giveaways and a featured cake and pie drawing, complete with plates and plasticware for sharing.

“We are trying to make the event our focus, not just the game. We want to create a new tradition,” Biester said. “We are also celebrating fall, societies and Thanksgiving.”

The 27th annual Turkey Bowl Run, sponsored by the Alumni Association, will also be held at 9 a.m. tomorrow morning.