Bruins women add two wins, improve to 4-1 record

Kim+Spiecker+drives+up+the+court.++Photo%3A+Molly+Waits+
Kim Spiecker drives up the court. Photo: Molly Waits

The Bruins women’s basketball team competed against Truett-McConnell College of Cleveland, Ga., and Barber-Scotia College from Concord, N.C., this past week and earned victories against both.

BJU took on the Truett-McConnell Bears first on Saturday for a competitive 52-49 win. The Bears jumped out to an early lead, as BJU had trouble settling into its game. Eventually the Bruins pulled it together to take a 30-22 halftime lead and ultimately earned their second victory of the year.

The Barber-Scotia College Sabers visited the Davis Field House on Tuesday to face the Bruins, resulting in a 61-43 triumph for the 4-1 Bruins women. BJU won the opening tip and started out strong, earning the initial lead and never looking back. In the first part of the half, BJU had crisp passing up top, smart looks and consistent penetration. Both teams struggled toward the end of the first half, but the Bruins still protected a 29-21 lead at halftime.

The Sabers nearly caught up to BJU in the second half, but the comeback only prompted the Bruins to step up the level of play in the last 10 minutes of the game. The Sabers were buried with a long string of Bruins buckets, and BJU proved victorious again with a 61-43 victory.

Sophomore Kendra Jeffcott said, “It was a sloppy game, but we pulled it together toward the end of the second half. We came together as a team and knew what we had to do, and just did it. The crowd helped tonight, the student section is a big boost.”

The Bruins women travel tomorrow to Due West, S.C., to face Erskine College.