Intramural volleyball season heads to championship after semi-final play


The Cardinals and the Colts went head-to-head in the volleyball semifinals. Photo: Dave Saunders

The Theta Delta Omicron Tigers and the Nu Alpha Phi Flames met in their semifinal game on Saturday, Oct. 19, to determine who would advance to the championship match. The Flames jumped out to an 8–4 advantage but would never lead again, as the Tigers scored eight straight points to earn a 12–8 advantage. Although the Flames would tie the set at 18–18, the Tigers scored seven of the last 10 points and closed out the first set 25–21.

The Flames were up 7–6 early in the second set, but Theta Delta then answered back by taking 12 of the next 16 points and a comfortable 18–11 lead. Good serving, setting and spiking would give the Tigers a 26–16 second set win.

The third set was close until the final volleys, as the Flames were able to take a 14–12 lead over the Tigers. Junior Becca Bredehoft, who contributed 10 spikes over the three sets—including five in the third set—helped the Tigers take back their lead and go on a 13–3 scoring rampage to finish out the third set 25–17 and advance to the championship.

The Theta Sigma Chi Colts and Beta Epsilon Chi Cardinals also matched up Saturday night to see who would meet the Tigers in the final round. The Cardinals and Colts played a close first set, which included 13 ties throughout the round. But the Cardinals came up clutch in the end with a 27–25 win to give them a 1–0 overall advantage.

The Cardinals dominated the Colts early in the second set, and a spike from senior Ashlee Kaighen broadened the lead to 12–4. The Cardinals carried that lead to 17–8 before the Colts answered back. The Colts, down by nine, scored the next 13 points in a row to gain a 21–17 lead. The Cardinals scored only two more points before the set ended 25–19 in the Colts’ favor.

The Colts, now with a 1–1 overall tie and all the momentum, would have a fantastic third set. Buried in an early 14–5 deficit, the Cardinals called a timeout. It seemed to help the Cardinals, as they gained three quick points, including two Kaighen blocks, to bring the score within six. The Colts kept rolling, however, and easily won the set 25–15 after the Cardinals spiked out of bounds

The fourth and final set featured six more ties and played out much like the first. The Cardinals gained an early lead but fell to 20–19 in the end, as the Colts won the set 25–22 and the match 3 sets to 1.

The Tigers and Colts will face off in the championship game on Saturday, Oct. 26, at 6:30 p.m. on main court in the Davis Field House.