Bruins take home win on Senior Night

The+Bruins+Matt+Moore+keeps+possession+of+the+ball+during+a+4%E2%80%930+rallying+of+the+CIU+Rams+on+Senior+Night.++Photo%3A+Dave+Saunders+
The Bruins’ Matt Moore keeps possession of the ball during a 4–0 rallying of the CIU Rams on Senior Night. Photo: Dave Saunders

Fans, family and friends gathered at Alumni Stadium Friday, Oct. 18, to honor the graduating seniors on the Bruins intercollegiate soccer team. Senior Night honored John Wiser, Micah Inafuku, Cam Lawson, Joel Cave, Stephen Lovelace, Cody Lehman, Caleb McKisic, Mark Bonikowsky and Jordan Allen for their hard work and dedication, thanking the players who have contributed so much to the young Bruins soccer program.

The Bruins, now 7–6–1, took on the Columbia International University Rams and came away with a 4–0 win. The Bruins and Rams both took the field with intensity, but the Bruins’ superior passing gave them the advantage from the start. Early in the game, sophomores Vince Wilson and Travis Woodham worked together for a goal that shot into the right side of the net, making the score 1–0.

The home team filled the remainder of the first half with great defense and scoring opportunities, and the score stood at 1–0 as the halftime whistle blew. Athletic Director Neal Ring recognized the seniors during the break by adding his gratitude and praying for the seniors as they graduate.

“It’s been an awesome experience,” senior Cave said about being on the soccer team. “I love being a part of the team. There are a lot of great guys, and I’m excited for the [future of the] program.”

The fans in the crowded bleachers cheered as the second half started, and both teams started with renewed energy. Within the first 10 minutes of the half, the Bruins struck again as Rams goalkeeper Luke Brooks dropped the ball in front of the goal. Sophomore Matt Moore took advantage and seized the ball for a goal. Moore tacked on another goal shortly thereafter to make the score 3–0, courtesy of a lead pass by Allen.

Freshman John Wilson netted the last goal of the game, sinking the ball into the left side of the net. The win was a great addition to an exciting night that honored the seniors.

“We had good combinations and good finishes. It was a good match for us,” Coach Jesse McCormick said regarding the game. “[The seniors] help build the foundation to represent Christ off and on the field.”