Week at a Glance

BJU Symphony Orchestra
Friday, Oct. 11, 7 p.m., Rodeheaver Auditorium

Leadership Seminar
Tuesday, Oct. 15, 6 p.m., Stratton Hall

“Fandemonium”
Friday, Oct. 18, after the 7:30 soccer game, Davis Field House

BJU Symphony Orchestra
The BJU Symphony Orchestra will bring an exhilarating concert titled “Short Ride” tonight at 7 p.m. in Rodeheaver Auditorium.

Dr. Michael Moore, director of the nearly 70-member orchestra, said the title is derived from the opening piece by John Adams, but it also provides the unifying theme for the entire concert. Other selections include a short work by Bach and an abridged version of a Wagner opera.

According to Moore, if the audience sticks around at the end, the symphony will do a little encore piece by Wagner that connects with the “ride” theme.

The concert, previously scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 12, was moved because of the Bruins home game against Clearwater. “We want to support the Bruins, and we’d love students to come support the Bruins in the orchestra too,” Moore said.

Leadership Seminar
A leadership seminar will be presented Tuesday, Oct. 15, at 6 p.m. in Stratton Hall by Dr. Ryan Meers, director of the Center for Leadership Development. Helping students “do what is best for the people they lead” will be the theme of the seminar, said Chris Pennington, who has been organizing this series of leadership seminars. Pennington said that often people think being a servant is doing only the menial tasks, but that sometimes “leadership is confronting, encouraging or stepping in and helping. It’s not just doing the thankless jobs.” Any interested students are welcome to attend the seminar.

“Fandemonium”
Back after their inaugural season, the Bruins basketball team is looking to get students energized for the upcoming season. In the Davis Field House on Oct. 18, two weeks shy of their season-opener against Johnson University on Nov. 1, the Bruins will be hosting “Fandemonium.” The night’s event, which includes a slam-dunk contest, a skirmish, player introductions and interviews, will let students get up close with this year’s Bruins men’s and women’s basketball teams. “With new faces on the team combined with experience and talent gained from last year,” said Jonny Gamet, sports information director for the Bruins and organizer of the event, “there’s a lot to be excited for this season, and ‘Fandemonium’ is great opportunity for students to get to know the teams and get energized for the season.”