BJU concert features Jason Max Ferdinand Singers

The Jason Max Ferdinand Singers debuted in London in 2021. Photo by Nathaniel Hendry.

The Jason Max Ferdinand Singers performed at Bob Jones University to kick off the first Concert, Opera, and Drama Series event of the semester. The concert took place Thursday evening in the Founder’s Memorial Amphitorium.

The group included award-winning singers from across the U.S. and performed a variety of spirituals and folk songs. The conductor, Dr. Jason Max Ferdinand, added spontaneity to the concert by adding songs that were not in the program, even inviting two students from the audience to sing Amazing Grace on stage.

Two students, Heather Grace Spencer, a senior music major, and Caydon Bowman, a freshmen music education major, joined the artist on stage for part of the concert. Photo by Nathaniel Hendry.

Before the concert, Dr. Darren Lawson, dean of the BJU School of Fine Arts and Communication, said it would help introduce students to appreciate the fine arts. “This program is part of BJU’s commitment to introduce our student body to the best of the arts. We have a long and successful history of using the arts to shape our students into polished individuals who stand out among university students around the world.”

The group was founded in 2021 by Ferdinand and performed their debut show at “Live from London.” After going on a hiatus because of the pandemic, the singers are back to a full touring schedule. Dr. Ferdinand is the group’s director, and a full professor, director of choral, and Music Department chair at Oakwood University in Huntsville, Alabama. He also has his BA in piano from Oakwood University, as well as an MA in Choral Conducting from Morgan State University and a DMA in Choral Conducting from the University of Maryland.

The Concert included traditional spirituals and folk songs. Photo by Nathaniel Hendry.