Biden declared winner, results still disputed by Trump

Andrew Harnik/AP/Shutterstock
Copyright (c) 2020 Shutterstock. Photos used with permission.

Associated Press has declared Joe Biden the 46th president of the United States after a perceived Democratic victory in Pennsylvania. Undecided states are currently Georgia and Alaska.

Donald Trump has continued to claim victory since election night, tweeting at 10:36 a.m. EST, an hour before AP announced Biden’s win, “I WON THIS ELECTION, BY A LOT!”

Over the last day, Twitter has continued to regulate nearly all of Trump’s tweets with overlaid warnings that the content is disputable.

Regardless of the call by AP, Biden’s pending president-elect title has not been recognized by all news stations.

Shortly after the election was called, Biden tweeted, “America, I’m honored that you have chosen me to lead our great country. The work ahead of us will be hard, but I promise you this: I will be a President for all Americans — whether you voted for me or not.”

The New York Times said the results are ending four tumultuous years under Trump. An article by Jonathan Martin and Alexander Burns states, “Mr. Biden’s victory amounted to a repudiation of Mr. Trump by millions of voters exhausted with his divisive conduct and chaotic administration, and was delivered by an unlikely alliance of women, people of color, old and young voters and a sliver of disaffected Republicans.”

Biden finished his tweet by promising, “I will keep the faith that you have placed in me.”

Trump’s claims to errant ballot counting, including the denial of legal observing of “hundreds of thousands of votes,” lead many to suspect a long road to resolution over the election.