Greenville auditor Scott Case to speak at UBA event “God’s Will”

ANDREW PLEDGER
Portrait of Dr. Brammer. BJU, Greenville, SC, October 7th 2019 (Andrew Pledger

The University Business Association will be hosting a meeting titled “God’s Will,” presented by Greenville County auditor and BJU graduate and former faculty member Scott Case on Nov. 18, at 5 p.m. in Levinson Hall. 

UBA president David Bell said he heard Case speak on God’s will during an in-class presentation in March and appreciated what Case said so much that he asked him back to speak for a UBA event.  Bell joined the UBA to get exposure to the business world outside of the classroom, and this event is an example of a way he gets to do that. 

Throughout his time in the association, he said he has really enjoyed his experience and has had opportunities to plan events and meet many great speakers. This event is open to all students, not just members of the UBA. Bell encourages students to come and listen to this quality speaker present his thoughts. 

“The UBA is a business association that provides general business advice and tools that would be helpful to business students and non-business students as well,” Bell said. 

More specifically, it curates events that provide insight on mock interviews, resumes, career paths and more.  It is professionally focused, and membership is open to all students, even those whose majors are not in the School of Business. 

James Brammer, faculty sponsor for the UBA, said the organization helps students learn beyond the classroom into their choosen field. “[The UBA] is more of a direct connection to a professional field than we can offer in a classroom,” Brammer said. “One of the things that UBA does is [acknowledge] that we all learn in different ways.” 

Like Bell, Brammer is excited for “God’s Will” and hopes that the event will equip many students to better understand how to discern God’s calling for their lives.

Ultimately, the UBA provides students with experiences in which they can speak to professionals in the business field to gain a greater understanding about post-graduation opportunities.  Up to this point in the semester, the UBA has held a couple events. 

At the start of the semester, the UBA hosted a forum to communicate to other BJU business student organizations that the UBA desires to provide them support and resources. 

Additionally, the UBA held an event under the theme “Exploring Business Careers” to enlighten students about various business career options.  Professionals in the areas of accounting, marketing and even paralegal studies, a new program at BJU, came to speak. 

Following “God’s Will,” the UBA’s next major event will focus on morality in the workplace.  Cameron Davies, senior vice president of corporate decision sciences at NBCUniversal, will be speaking on the topic, providing insight based on some of his personal experiences on how he decides what to air on TV as a Christian involved in the media world. 

This event is open to all students and will be held on Dec. 9, at 6 p.m. in the Davis Room of the dining common. Dessert will be provided.