Port City Java offers friendly atmosphere, specialty coffee

ANDREW PLEDGER
Port City Java in downtown Greenville. Port City Java, Greenville, SC, October 29th, 2019 (Andrew Pledger)

Port City Java on South Main Street in downtown Greenville provides a friendly environment and a place for anyone to come have a cup of joe.

Port City Java started in 1995 and has 28 locations in the Carolinas. Out of all their locations, the downtown Greenville location has received the highest reviews for two years in a row. 

Nathan Stouffer, manager of the downtown Greenville store, attributes these high ratings to his staff, who are friendly and provide quality service.   Port City Java’s mission is “to exceed the expectations of every guest on every visit.” 

This statement guides their employee training and ultimately their vision. Port City desires to treat everyone who comes through their doors equally.

Stouffer claims that while most coffee shops do not intentionally try to exclude people, they sometimes do unintentionally by their set up and ambiance.  That is why Port City Java plays music at a low volume and provides adequate lighting for productivity. 

Port City’s menu offers both food and beverage options. The food is centered on a breakfast theme. From build-your-own sandwiches to chicken wraps, there are many items to choose. Beverages include fruit smoothies, tea and a variety of coffee-based drinks. 

Port City Java’s signature beverage is the mocha shake, a mixture of Ghirardelli chocolate, sweetened cream and fresh espresso shots blended with ice. This delicious shake is even topped with whipped cream. Port City Java roasts their own coffee in Wilmington, North Carolina, where they are based. They often use beans from South America and serve primarily medium roast. 

In addition to selling coffee, Stouffer holds coffee classes to educate both private and public groups on the subject of coffee. He said he wants to share his passion for coffee with others. 

Stouffer hopes that Port City Java can continue to provide hospitality through serving coffee, welcoming every guest who comes through their doors.

Port City Java is located at 11 South Main Street in Greenville, and the store is open from 6:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays and 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekends.