Sarah Rumpf

Sarah+Rumpf

Sarah Rumpf is the  Community Service Council (CSC) Director.

“What makes an impactful Homecoming fundraiser?” I recently asked the BJU Community Service Council during our annual orientation. The council answered with an impressive list focused on giving a voice to students and creating awareness for a cause in the greater Greenville Community.

The council continued to expand their ideas and voice their thoughts on community service. Serving the community should be an integral part of every Christian college student’s life, even beyond their time at BJU.

Each year, the Community Service Council chooses an organization that students are passionate about and that will benefit the community. The goal is to give back to the community by raising monetary support for the organization.  Since 2012, SWITCH has led the effort to fight human trafficking and sexual exploitation in the upstate of South Carolina.

Their commitment, as described on their website, switchsc.org, is to “serve and love the way Jesus did. Our goal is to love well, serve well, and be a light in darkness.” SWITCH was chosen as the fundraiser for several reasons. The CSC tries to choose a local organization that the student body can connect with.

With an estimated 25 million victims worldwide human trafficking is a relevant issue that impacts our local community and the student body.  Human trafficking happens in local communities, such as Greenville, not just abroad.  Our hope is that by partnering with SWITCH, BJU can help raise awareness of the prevalence of human trafficking in South Carolina and raise funds for SWITCH to continue their Gospel work.

During Homecoming weekend, the CSC will provide students and alumni with many opportunities to donate to this organization. Students can get involved by buying an official Homecoming T-shirt that will be sold during the week of Homecoming.  Also, societies and student organizations are encouraged to look for opportunities where they can get involved and make an impact for SWITCH.

All these activities will contribute to SWITCH, and many victims will be helped because of BJU’s fundraising efforts.

The Community Service Council is proud to partner with SWITCH and create awareness for a worthy cause during the 2019 Homecoming celebration.