BJU to celebrate historic solar phenomenon

Similar to the other intercollegiate athletic teams, the Bob Jones University Lady Bruins women’s volleyball team has just finished its spring season.

The Lady Bruins volleyball team is entering the program’s second season and is looking to replicate the success the women experienced last season.

In their inaugural season, the Lady Bruins compiled a regular season record of 27-13 and went undefeated in all 11 of their regular season NCCAA matches.

At the beginning of the semester, the team’s practices consisted of conditioning and specialty training and gradually moved towards a couple of team practices each week.

Then, they played a shortened spring season in which each game is more like an hour-long scrimmage.

“Usually, we can play about two sets in an hour,” Lady Bruins head coach Vickie Denny said.

The Bruins have had a successful spring season so far, beating Toccoa Falls College 4-1 and Montreat College 3-2 in the last two weeks.

The Lady Bruins also played three one-hour scrimmages Saturday at Coker College in Hartsville, South Carolina.

Coach Denny said the team has done well in the spring season and that the team is focusing on the details in preparation for the fall season.

Coach Denny said that as the spring season concludes, she is meeting with the players individually to help them improve in their skill development.

Repeating last year’s success is also a goal of the Bruins.

“It’s our second year, (and)we’re still young,” Coach Denny said. “It will be a tougher schedule overall.”

Coach Denny also said that the team is bringing back maturity since most of their players played last season.

She said she believes the team will have more depth entering the fall.

The spring season has also seen three showcase events at which Coach Denny and the team were able to meet and talk with prospective students.

“We’ve had a lot of visitors come through,” Coach Denny said. “We got to meet some good prospects.”

The team does a Bible study together to grow them as they head into the summer and prepare for the fall season.

“We have a Bible study in the offseason,” Coach Denny said. “During the offseason it really helps us to grow spiritually as a team.”