M&G serves community during renovation time

Several famous paintings have been hung in the Atrium of the Fine Arts Building. 4/24/17

The Museum & Gallery’s building may be temporarily closed, but that does not mean M&G will stop making an impact on people’s lives.

M&G is planning many different events that are geared toward reaching out to the community and keeping the public engaged with the various works of art that M&G is proud to share.

On average, M&G interacts with approximately 45,000 people every year. M&G desires to keep this relationship with the community strong during renovations.

M&G will continue hosting Museum on the Move. With Museum on the Move, two South Carolina certified educators are sent to schools all over the Upstate.

These educators give 30- to 60-minute lessons on a variety of topics centered on art. The program reaches 10,000 children annually, the majority of whom attend public schools.

M&G will also continue to host the Kids Create camp this summer. The Kids Create camp is a three-week camp that teaches campers about careers in art and real world application of art and beauty. This summer the camp will be hosted in Rodeheaver Auditorium and the Gustafson Fine Arts building.

The Kids Create camp is open to any children  in the community who would like to attend.

M&G is looking forward to continuing the newly-founded M&G Makers Market next Homecoming Weekend. Erin Jones, director of M&G, is hoping to get more students to submit artwork at the next Makers Market.

“These events can be a gateway or introduction for the University’s heart and mission,” Jones said.

Currently M&G is digitizing much of the content found in M&G at Heritage Green.

M&G has interactive, entertaining and educational content about various paintings, which they want to be easily accessible to individuals. This content has helped visitors understand and gain a deeper appreciation of the paintings.

M&G plans to reformat the content in order for it to be accessible on the internet. No date has been set for the release of these educational programs, but updates about the new virtual benefits can be found on the official M&G Facebook page.

Some of the paintings are finding temporary homes while M&G is closed for renovations. Luther’s Journey, along with exhibiting artistic pieces that highlight the life and ministry of Martin Luther, has been moved to the Atrium of the Fine Arts Building.

Art pieces have also been moved to Carolina Alliance Bank, Sen. William Timmons’ office and State Rep. Dan Hamilton’s office. M&G also has tentative plans for some of the art to be loaned internationally.

Information about more M&G events can be found on both M&G’s website and official Facebook page. M&G constituents can also sign up to be a part of M&G’s mailing list where they will receive a monthly progress report and information on an individual art piece.