Diminish fear’s power over you, fully trust the unknowns to God

“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.”

Many of us are familiar with this quote by Corrie ten Boom, a champion of faith who saved hundreds of Jewish lives during WWII.

But how many of us actually understand what ten Boom was saying on a practical level.

It’s easy to read a quote like this and be inspired for the next 15 seconds, but it’s not as easy to apply it to our lives in a practical way.

Most students willingly admit that trust is a common spiritual problem area, especially as the end of the acadmeic year approaches.

We feel overwhelmed with final projects, finals week, summer plans or post-graduation plans.

The common denominator in each of these stress equations is fear—fear of the unknown.

We are scared of what we don’t know, because we can’t control what we don’t know.

And this fear is a result of a lack of trust—a lack of trust in God.

As we heard in this semester’s chapel messages on truth and love, we know that the solution to overcoming fear is love.

That love is a reflection of  our trust in God.

Without trust, no love. Without love, more fear.

Dr. Pettit described fear as false evidence appearing as reality.

Our fears of the unknown seem so foolish and unwarranted when we look at fear for what it is—false.

We are the ones who give power to fear by our lack of trust in God.

Like any solid relationship, our relationship with God must be rooted in trust. We trust that God will lead us through life—carrying us through the hard times.

Fear loses its power when we fully trust God and realize the constance of God.

Life is full of changes and unknowns, but God is unchanging and known.

Face your fears head on, knowing that God will always pick you up when you fall.

You can lean on Him. So let go of fear.

Fill out that summer internship application, go on that mission trip, interview for that dream job or just be still and wait.

Be still and trust your unknown future to your known God, the everlasting Father.