Women’s soccer team trains for regular fall season

Derek Eckenroth
BJU Bruins women’s soccer. Photo by Derek Eckenroth, 2016

After a short spring season that ended last Saturday, the BJU Bruins women’s soccer team is now gearing up for its regular fall season.

“Overall I think we had a very strong spring and we [were] able to accomplish some tactically great things,” women’s soccer coach Chris Carmichael said.

In their first game of the spring season back in March, the Bruins tied Presbyterian College, a Division I NCAA opponent, 0-0.

Carmichael said the team’s main focus during the spring season was to stay technically sharp and to get fitter, stronger and faster. The team also experimented with player combinations and positions during the spring.

“The spring is a great time to continue developing our skills as well as challenge us with difficult competition,” forward Abby Davis said.

Davis also said that by playing teams in higher divisions, the team is pushed to work hard collectively and be unified as a whole.

Another highlight from the spring season included a victory over Southern Wesleyan University earlier this month.

Carmichael said he saw some positive takeaways from the spring season.

“The team looks technically very sharp, and tactically we were able to possess the ball under extreme pressure and really relax in those situations,” Carmichael said, “Players’ fitness levels are very good, and we were able to compete at a very high level.”

Carmichael said the team is composed of diverse talents and that everyone brings something invaluable and unique to the program.

“To that end we all work hard for each other and enjoy pushing each other to be our best,” Carmichael said.

Besides playing scrimmages against other teams during the spring, the team holds practices, and the players lift weights during the week as part of spring practice.

“The spring season helps us continue to keep up and improve on our fitness levels and technical skills, preparing us to go into summer training at a high level,” midfielder Lauren Foushee said.

“As I train during the spring I always try to have next season in mind, knowing that everything I am working on now is really training towards our games next season,” Foushee said.

Davis said she is looking forward to chasing another national tournament in the fall as well as growing with her teammates and sisters in the Lord.

“I plan on doing everything I can to grow on and off the field,” Davis said, “Working hard in every area of life helps to redirect the purpose behind why I do what I do.”

The spring season also allowed the players to prepare for the fall season as well.

Carmichael said that he is looking forward to the energy and buzz of the fall preseason and seeing steady improvement in the team throughout the season.

“We remind the players to soak in every training session and game as the four years go so fast,” Carmichael said.

Carmichael also said he tells his players to play for a higher calling and to strive to be mentors and leaders and to exemplify what it means to be a Christian athlete.