Soby’s on the Side: bistro-sized deli and bakery offers affordable cuisine

Unlike many restaurants downtown, Soby’s is no new face in Greenville.

In fact, Soby’s on the Side (its smaller sandwich, soup and pastry location) has been in business for 19 years now.

The original restaurant, located on South Main Street, serves upscale Southern food.

But Soby’s on the Side is small, with around 10 tables and about half the space dedicated to the kitchen.

They serve an array of sandwiches, hot dogs, salads, soups, grilled cheese and pastries. Breakfast and lunch are on the menu all day.

Online, guests can find the day’s sandwich special, soup, pastry selection and the signature salad.

Their pastry options, made by their in-house pastry chef, include cakes, cookies, macaroons, pies, cupcakes and much more.

If you have an event coming up that you need pastries for, their pastry chef also makes made-to-order specialty cakes, pies, pastries and other desserts.

They also run their “Daily Motivators”: BBQ Monday, Hotdog Tuesday, Grilled Cheese Wednesday, Baked Potato Thursday, $4 Friday and Saturday Brunch.

Staff member Santino Tedesco explained that $4 Friday has a special menu of simpler salads and sandwiches that are each $4. The most popular specials are from Monday to Wednesday.

In addition to weekly specials, Soby’s on the Side also offers monthly specials. For March, they have a braised barbecue chicken sandwich, thai crunch salad and spicy black bean soup.

Other menu highlights include Philly cheesesteak, breakfast burritos and build-your-own salad.

Tedesco emphasized the locally grown produce and the ambiance of the restaurant. 

“We are trying to promote a welcoming, family atmosphere and serve great food,” he said.

Other menu items include a variety of breakfast sandwich options—Grilled Veggie Stack, Turkey Wrap, build-your-own sandwich or salad and Smoked Beef Brisket, all of which are offered daily.

On Saturdays, in addition to the breakfast menu, Soby’s on the Side offers a brunch menu.  Options include biscuits and gravy, shrimp and grits, crispy smoked brisket hash and Soby’s famous BLFGT— fried green tomatoes with bacon, leaf lettuce and basil aioli on toasted wheat.

And with a price range from around $4 to $10, Soby’s on the Side provides a full meal without breaking the bank.

Located on 22 E. Court St. in Greenville, Soby’s on the Side is open Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and is closed on Sundays.