Intramural volleyball sets in for spring season

A player for the Eagles spikes the ball on Friday night in the Davis Field House. Photo by Rebecca Snyder. 30.19

With society basketball season coming to a close, society volleyball is taking the center stage for intramural athletics at Bob Jones University.

The regular season for men’s and women’s intramural volleyball officially starts on March 3 and will end on April 1 this year.

A playoff for the volleyball season will begin immediately after the conclusion of the regular season.

For men’s society volleyball, the teams to beat this season will be the Beta Gamma Delta Patriots, the Pi Kappa Sigma Cobras A team and the Lanier Black team.

Last season in men’s volleyball, the Cobras went undefeated all season and won the championship against the Patriots with a score of 3-1.

For the women’s societies, one of the teams to beat will be the Pi Delta Classics A team.

Laura Gaston of the Pi Delta Chi Classics A team said some keys to her team’s success this season will be serving and communication.

“The keys of success are serve and serve receive,” Gaston said. “As long as we do that and communicate with each other clearly, we will be unstoppable.”

Luke Davis, who plays for the Bryan Bears, says that communication and having each player play to their strengths are key for the Bears to do well this volleyball season.

“We will need to communicate on and off the court, and each individual player needs to play to his strengths and stay away from his weaknesses as much as possible,” Davis said.

“Every player is needed because each player has his own role on the team. But I think there are two players we will be looking at to lead the team,” Davis said.

Davis said those two players will be sophomores JD Surrett and Matt Smith.

But even more so than that, Davis said that his society must honor God above all else.

“First, we need to make sure we do our best to glorify God,” Davis said.

Kimberlee Ranck of the Nu Alpha Phi Flames A team said she draws inspiration from University of Michigan head football coach Jim Harbaugh, who said, “Realistic expectations in life are that we are going to be better today than we were yesterday, be better tomorrow than we were today. That’s the key for success: to work.”

“We are all striving to be part of something greater,” Ranck said, “and I feel that volleyball is a way  for us to come together as a team and give our all on the court for not only each other, but for the honor and glory of God who gave us our talents.”Lauren Johnson of the Flames B team said in order to succeed, their team needs to be unified.

“Instead of being a team that just has a bunch of star players, we want to be one that works well together as a unit,” Johnson said.

“This happens when each member is doing her job well, communicating, and putting the team first.”

Johnson also said that each player’s attitude plays a role.

“We’ve got a great group of girls, sweet and excited to play the game they love,” Johnson said. “That translates onto the court: we’ve got fire!”