Colts crush Tigers to claim softball championship

Holly Diller
After falling short in soccer and basketball championships, the Classics finally claimed the softball trophy. Photo: Holly Diller

The Theta Sigma Chi Colts won a resounding 12-4 victory over the Theta Delta Omicron Tigers Monday night to claim the 2015 women’s intramural softball championship.

Both teams entered the game undefeated and were looking for one last win to end the year. The Colts made the championship games in both soccer and basketball earlier in the year, but were stopped short each time by the Classics. This time, the Colts looked to claim the title and refused to settle for second.

The Tigers have had a competitive year in sports, but failed to make it to the finals in soccer, basketball or volleyball. With the year coming to a close, the Tigers were also looking for that victory to cap off the year.

The Colts batted first, and after the first out senior Lindsay Yessa hit a double to give the Colts a base runner. Freshman Grace Pannell then hit a double of her own, bringing Yessa home for the early 1-0 lead. After two pop fly balls made three outs, the Tigers had a chance to answer.

Tiger freshman Emily Yancey answered the Colts with a single to start off.  Senior Bethany Chism recorded a double, bringing Yancey home to tie the score 1-1. Senior Rebecca Bredehoft then crushed the ball to bring Chism home, and the Tigers took a 2-1 lead before finishing the first inning with two more outs.

The second inning was tough on both teams, as neither scored, but the Tigers prevented the Colts from scoring any runs during the third. With runners on first and second, Bredehoft again had a strong hit that brought one runner home. Minutes later, Bredehoft herself was ushered home as the Tigers took a 4-1 lead heading into the fourth inning. Little did the Tigers know that Bredehoft would be the last Tiger to cross home plate for the remainder of the night, as the Colts then took control.

The Colts answered back in the fourth with six runs, as several players made it across home plate, including Pannell, Yessa, fellow senior Brittany Rosensky, and junior Casey Peacock. Rosensky and Pannell both had triples in the fourth, contributing to the three-run lead taken by the Colts.

The Colts allowed three Tiger hits during the fourth, but the Tigers were unable to capitalize and headed into the fifth still down three.

The Colts dominated the fifth inning, as they once again brought several runners across the plate. Freshman Natalie Pierce was the first to come home, brought in by a single from sophomore Hannah Wood. The game climaxed when junior Moriah Berry crushed a home run with bases loaded that brought Rosensky, junior Caitlin Peacock, and Wood (an alternate runner) all home to give the Colts a 12-4 lead.

The Tigers had a hard fifth inning, with three straight outs. The Colts went scoreless in the sixth inning, giving the Tigers one last chance to try to mount a comeback. It was not to be, however, as the Tigers once again had three straight outs, giving the Colts a 12-4 victory.