Scholastic Bowl Finals: Sigma Kappa Rho v. Bryan

ciara weant
Sigma Kappa Rho and Alpha Gamma Tau compete in the 2015 Scholastic Bowl semifinals. Photo: Ciara Weant

Fierce competition often implies rough contact sports, but the annual BJU Scholastic Bowl gives students an opportunity to compete fiercely using only their minds. This year, Sigma Kappa Rho is headed back to the finals, along with the Bryan Bears, in Lecture B on April 21 at 7 p.m.

The Scholastic Bowl, a BJU tradition, is a competition where contestants are asked questions from several categories, such as history, science, art and BJU trivia.

The first contestant who answers the question correctly earns points for his or her team. If neither team answers correctly within the time limit, no points are given.

Bettie Griffith, a senior English major, is competing on the Sigma Kappa Rho team again and is looking forward to the excitement of competing for another chance at the coveted title. “The audience energy was electrifying,” Griffith said.

Bryan Bears team member Matthew Hughes, a senior history major, has been competing on the Bryan team for several years and said he loves experiencing the competition with his teammates. “There’s a lot of fun with the team members,” Hughes said. “You sit right next to somebody else and share in the thrill, challenge and intensity of a game like Scholastic Bowl, and that contributes to a kind of almost telepathy.”

All students are welcome to attend the final competition. The competitors feed off supportive audience energy, and who knows, maybe you’ll learn something!