Lanier Falcons top Stallions, win in two sets

Rio Oshiro of Lanier jumps to make contact with the volleyball. Photo: Ethan Rogers

The Lanier Falcons A team defeated the Kappa Theta Chi Stallions Monday night in two straight sets.

Each team came into the game with a season record of 1-1, both having lost to the Beta Patriots. In the end, the Falcons proved too much for the Stallions as they captured Lanier’s second win of the year.

The first set was close at the beginning, but the Falcons quickly pulled ahead 13-6. The Stallions had a few in-net violations and several hits out of bounds, but the Falcons controlled the game with their effective spiking and tip-overs.

The Stallions made a small comeback and pulled within four at 15-11, but Lanier quickly stomped the competition. Going on a 10-1 run, Lanier pulled away to finish out the first set 25-12.

The second set was closer than the first, and the Stallions took the lead early on. Kappa Theta was able to capture a 6-2 advantage after capitalizing on several Lanier mistakes, but the Falcons then made six points straight to go up 8-6. Stallions senior Kyle Smith recorded a spike to bring his team back within one, but the Falcons would keep on rolling.

Spikes from sophomores Rio Oshiro and Samuel Sotelo were very effective against the Stallion defense who blocked several spikes throughout the match but were ultimately no match for the Lanier power-hitters. Lanier pulled ahead 20-12 with the end in sight when the Stallions made one last comeback attempt.

The Stallions were able to come within three at 21-18, but the effort was not enough, as the Falcons went on to win 25-19, handing Theta Kappa its second loss of the season.