Tigers extinguish Flames in quarterfinals, win 38-15

Tatiana Bento
Emily Yancey of the Tigers dribbles past Leanne Gibbs of the Flames. Photo: Tatiana Bento

In the women’s basketball intramural quarterfinals Monday night, the Theta Delta Omicron Tigers defeated the Nu Alpha Phi Flames by a final score of 38-15.

As the final score indicated, the No. 3 seeded Tigers dominated the No. 6 seeded Flames for most of the game. In the first half, both teams attempted to push the ball up the court in search of easy transition baskets. But neither team was able to consistently capitalize on the quick tempo during the first half.

The Tigers demonstrated excellent passing and offensive rebounds to jump to a 10-4 lead midway through the first half. The quick transition opportunities eventually began to fall for the Tigers, as they took a 24-8 lead into halftime.

Again in the second half, the Tigers dominated the floor. The Flames could not find strong scoring opportunities against a tough 2-3 zone defense used by the Tigers.

Over seven minutes passed before the Flames were able to find a basket in the second half. The Flames were unable to get the ball into the post and resorted to low-percentage perimeter shots.

Most of the Tigers’ points in the second half came on quick transition layups. The team’s strong zone defense caused an abundance of turnovers, leading to easy offensive opportunities at the other end of the court.

Senior Becca Bredehoft led the Tigers with 12 total points as the Tigers improved to 5-1 overall. The Flames finished their season 3-4 overall.